Friday, April 9, 2010

A Toad, Madame?

Last night, Melia and I were driving out of our complex to run an errand. I saw a large rock on the road that looked like the silhouette of a frog! I was going to keep on driving, but saw the rock hop onto the grass as I passed, and so I hit the brakes and got out to see it. It was beautiful, spooky, and slow. It was very easy to catch because it was hopping sooo slow. I am not usually fast enough to catch any wild thing, and my heart was thumping in my chest.
After swallowing my disbelief at catching the big thing, I set it carefully on the floor in the front seat and I went on my way, with Melia squealing with delight and terror in the back seat.
My errand was to pay a quick visit to one of my young women from church. I showed her the frog (I didn't know it was a toad yet) and she didn't like it very much. I put it carefully back under the seat and we drove home. Melia was really nervous that it had moved from under the seat. She was beginning to actually feel frightened. As we pulled up in front of our condo, and I assured her not to worry and that it was probably still hiding under the seat. I opened her door, and we both immediately saw the big thing, squatting in round dark shape, directly under her feet. I looked at Melia, who was alarmed. I thought quickly. "Ohh!," I exclaimed. "That frog looks like a big piece of poo!"
Melia laughed and laughed. She told everybody the big pile of poo story over the next few days. She worried later that week that the toad might come back to our house unexpectedly to live inside her bathtub.
Anyway, we took that toad inside long enough to show Danny and then we let it go.
Hopefully, we can catch some frogs when we visit Grandpa Bob and Wendy next month.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

The differences of girls and boys are vast. My boys would have begged to keep that as a pet.

Bethie said...

I LOVE that picture of you and melia!

we had great fun growing up finding toads in the driveway! everytime i go up there and it is dark i am afraid that i am going to hit and run over one.

Sarah said...

I can't believe you're brave enough to do that